Drag & Drop elements for the Sidebar here
Southern Green is thrilled to have helped achieve £7.8m of Parks for People HLF funding in the last round of HLF announcements on 17 July 2017. Southern Green was Lead Consultant on two HLF Round 2 projects – The Canons, Mitcham for London Borough of Merton (£4.7m) and Pearson Park for Hull City Council (3.1m).
The Canons is an extraordinary site consisting of a great variety of important landscape and built features reflecting over 500 years. The site includes the remains of a moated medieval farmstead associated with the Southwark Priory, a 16th century dovecote, two Georgian mansions and remains of their gardens, as well as the site of the News of the World Sports Ground whilst today it includes a busy Leisure Centre at its heart. Southern Green prepared a coordinated design for the site that restores key historic features, enhances their settings whilst allowing for the inclusion of new facilities - cafe, toilets, play area and new square.
Pearson Park, established in 1860 by former Hull mayor and philanthropist Zachariah Charles Pearson, was one of the very first public parks in the country, following Birkenhead Park (1847) and People’s Park Halifax (1857). The registered park includes 7 listed buildings, some fine specimen trees and retains the character of the original layout designed by James Craig Niven, a botanist and curator at Kew Gardens. The main objective of the proposals was to restore the historic layout and features and also to reinstate key lost features such as the bandstand and bridge over the pond.