Newcastle Ne1 Ltd
Southern Green was initially commissioned to prepare the masterplan for this high profile city centre space in Newcastle having won the tender via a design competition.
Working with Mawson Kerr Architects, Southern Green prepared an HLF Townscape Heritage bid to successfully secure funding for this prestigious project and was subsequently commissioned to carry out the final tender and construction stage.
Over recent decades this historic part of the city gained a poor reputation and also became cluttered with a mix of inappropriate paving, street furniture and outdated design which no longer meets the access requirements for users.
The design aimed to make the Bigg Market a destination space, introducing al fresco dining areas and creating more flexible space for events. To achieve this the design included:
- A limited palette of high quality materials appropriate to the Conservation Area
- Terracing/stepped landscape and level access
- Increased pedestrian footpaths widths
- Relocation of trees to restore the integrity of the medieval market place as a single entity
- Integrated bespoke seating
- Integrated historical interpretation
Proposals for the scheme will include a number of bespoke design features with inspiration being drawn from historical references which give the area its unique character.