Heritage Lottery Fund
Stewart Park was formerly the grounds of Marton Hall, a Victorian mansion built by Middlesbrough industrialist Henry Bolckow. The park also contains the birthplace of Captain James Cook. The land was bequeathed to the people of the town by Thomas Dormand Stewart in 1928 and, although Marton Hall burnt down in 1960, a loggia and garden temple survived, along with a boating lake, a magnificent stable block complex, large areas of mature woodland and a dramatic expanse of parkland.
Southern Green was appointed as the lead consultant in a multi-disciplinary team for the preparation of a Conservation Management Plan and delivery of a range of contracts to restore the park in its entirety. The park was officially re-opened in 2010, and the project has since won several awards, including the Landscape Institute Award for Conservation and Heritage in 2013.